Following an extensive Development Plan Options Analysis by Signal Management Group, the Catlins Area School secured $4.89M in funding from the Ministry of Education for a comprehensive site redevelopment. This allowed them to redevelop their school buildings and site over three stages. The school appointed Signal as project and construction manager for the project.
The multi staged redevelopment was carefully planned around the ongoing operation of the school, none of which was left untouched by the redevelopment. The school now provides flexible facilities capable of adapting to future changes in curriculum delivery and teaching environments.
The scope for the project was as follows:
- Creating a new senior science, art and technology block together with a comprehensive upgrade of the schools building services, information technology and fire protection infrastructure.
- Paved areas associated with new block
- Relocation of existing hall and three existing classrooms
- New tractor shed
- Upgrade of main heating pipework
- Refurbishment of existing woodwork room for music suite
- Building of a new vehicle and pedestrian access layout
- Earthworks to create new playing fields
The school's administration block was redeveloped and an existing library was converted into a new senior school. Programming of this was specifically designed to allow school operations to continue unimpeded during redevelopment.
Stage 3 concluded with the existing junior block being remodeled as a new library and computer suite and the existing senior block being refurbished and extended as a new junior school.
Signal is continuing its relationship with Catlins Area School and is now managing a range of smaller projects for the school as part of the implementation of the Condition Assessment and 10 Year Property Plan recently completed by Signal. These projects include: refurbishment of the senior block; introduction of a weights room in the gymnasium, and; music room upgrade.